Have you ever received a gift card you don’t want as a present? You could give it away or sell it on eBay. But wait, there may be a better option. You’ll find that many stores sell various gift cards to a variety of other stores e.g. gas gift cards, restaurant gift cards, department/retailer gift cards, and Amazon gift card. Luckily, their payment system lets you purchase those third party gift cards with their own gift cards. Below, you’ll find a list of stores that allow you to buy these third party gift cards with the store’s own gift cards. This will come in handy if you can manage to buy these store gift cards at a discounts, then in turn buy the 3rd party gift cards where you can’t never get a discount to spread out the discounted purchasing power.
Stores that allow buying third party gift cards with their own gift cards:
- Barnes and Noble – many clerks will deny your attempt, but last time I tried, the system did allow you to redeem Barnes and Noble gift cards for some of the third party gift cards they sell.
- Kmart – usually lets you use Sears/LandsEnd/Kmart GCs (they are all owned by parent company, so you can use their GC’s interchangeably) to buy third party gift cards. Exception: POS prevents buying AMEX GCs using store GCs….but it will let you buy a Visa/MC GC without a problem. Kmart choices: AMEX (fees apply), AMC, Barnes and Noble, Bass Pro Shops, BP (rare), eBay, Hendrick, iTunes, Marriott, NFL, Regal Cinemas, Restaurants: (Brinker, Chili’s, Cold Stone, iHop, Jack in the Box, Olive Garden, Red Lobster, Red Robin, Ruby Tuesdays, Subway), Southwest Airlines
- Staples – I asked, and was shot down by cashier who was the manager, but POS allows GC purchases using GC. Staples choices: Visa/MC/AMEX (fees apply), AMC, Barnes and Noble, Bass Pro Shops, Bed Bath Beyond, eBay, Express, Foot Locker, Gap/Banana Republic/Old Navy, Home Depot, iTunes, JC Penney, Jiffy Lube, Kohls, Lowe’s, Macy’s, Marriott, Marshall’s/TJMaxx/Homegoods, Michaels, Nook, Nordstrom, Pottery Barn, Outdoor Adventure, PETsMART, Pottery Barn, Regal Cinemas, REI, Restaurants (Applebees, Chili’s, Olive Garden, Outback Steakhouse, Red Lobster, Ruby Tuesdays, Subway etc), Shell, Southwest Airlines, SpaFinder, Starbucks, toys r us
- Kroger – sells plenty of other stores’ gift cards. Kroger choices: Aeropostale, Amazon, Applebee’s, Banana Republic/Gap/Old Navy, Barnes & Noble, Bass Pro Shops, bath and body works, Bebe, Bed Bath and Beyond, Best Buy, Blockbuster, Build a Bear, Cabela’s, Claire’s, eBay, ESPN.com.com, Foot Locker, GameStop, golfsmith, Home Depot, iTunes, JC Penney, Jiffy Lube, Joann, Kohl’s, Land’s End/Sears/Kmart, Lord & Taylor, Macy’s, Marriott, Marshall’s/TJMaxx/Homegoods, Michael’s, Nordstrom, OfficeMax, Overstock, REI, Restaurants (Applebees, Carraba’s, Chili’s, IHOP, McDonalds, Olive Garden, Outback, Panera Bread, PF Chang’s, Pizza Hut, Red Lobster, Ruby Tuesday, Subway, TGI Friday’s), Shell, Staples, Southwest Airlines, Staples, Target, toys r us
- Sears – You can even buy Sears gift cards and pay with Sears giftcards. They have many including Shell, Staples, Subway.
- Safeway – Never had a problem buying third party gcs with safeway gcs.
- Publix – Bought gas and AMEX GCs using a Publix GC. Publix choices: Aeropostale, AMEX, Applebees, AT&T go card, Bahama Breeze, Banana Republic, Barnes and Noble, Bass Pro shops, bath and body works, bed bath and beyond, belk, best buy, bonefish grill, boost mobile, bp, chilis, macaroni grill, maggianos, busch gardens, cabellas, carrabbas, chevron, Texaco, club penguin, cold stone, cracker barrel, crispers, Disney, eBay, Foot Locker, GameStop, gap, golfsmith, pennytalk, itunes, jcpenneys Kohls, lands end, longhorn, maycs, marshals, Net 10, nexon, nike, nordstron, Old Navy, olive garden, outback, pfchangs, PacSun, publix, red lobster, ruby Tuesday, Sears, SeaWorld, shell, Sony, southwest, SpaFinder, starbucks, sti tgi Fridays, talbots, tj maxx, cheesecake factory, home despot, ticketmaster, tmoblile, toysrus, tracfone, universal, verizon, virgin, xbox.
- Bestbuy – You can now by Amazon kindle giftcards at best buy with best buy gift cards. These kindle cards can be used for any purchases on Amazon (basically an Amazon giftcard). Great way to swap best buy giftcards from citicard thank you network for something useful. Best Buy choices: Apple, Facebook, iTunes, Kindle, Napster, Playstation Network, Zune
- Target – Can buy Amazon Kindle GCs with Target GCs. Target choices: Visa (fees apply), AMC, Apple, Facebook, Groupon, iTunes, Regal Cinemas, Restaurants (Applebees, Bahama Breeze/Longhorn/Olive Garden/Red Lobster/Season 52, Buffalo Wild Wings, Chick Fila, Chilis/Macaroni Grill/Maggianos/On The Border, Cracker Barrel, iHop, PF Chang’s, Starbucks, Subway)
- Giant Eagle – sells plenty of other stores’ gift cards, including Amazon, Best Buy, Home Depot, Kohl’s, Sears, Macy’s, Office Max, Shell, Staples, and more.
- Game Stop: You can buy any gift card with the Game Stop Gift Card in store, they have Shell, Taco Bell, Starbuck, iTunes, Android, etc.
- Wal-Mart, Sam’s Club, and Murphy USA will all allow you to buy third party gift cards with a Wal-Mart gift card.
- Toys “R” Us / Babies “R” Us: Amazon, Amazon Kindle, iTunes, restaurant cards (Burger King, Subway, Chili’s, Olive Garden, Friday’s, Ruby Tuesday, Pizza Hut, UNO, Outback, Dunkin Donuts, Cracker Barrel), AMC, Ticketmaster, Regal movies, Xbox, prepaid phone cards.